Monday, February 16, 2009

My Little Valentine

I didn't think that Jake would be coming nearly 2 wks early, so I didn't want to call the doctor-on-call on a Saturday morning and be one of those moms who calls about every little thing. I finally caved and called around 7am to see if I should be worried since my contractions were pretty constant and weren't letting up and was given the option to go to the hospital or wait it out at home. I decided to stay home and hope that the pain subsides.

Since it was getting more painful, I decided that I wanted to go ahead and go. We arrived at the hospital around 10am on Saturday to rule out labor after talking to Dr. Umholtz (on call for Dr. Jacobs). Contractions were coming every 7 minutes on the dot at this point.

Upon the initial exam, I was dilated 3-4cm and 100% effaced when I arrived. I could've tried to have a vaginal birth, but I still wanted the C-section.

I was given the epidural in the OR about 1:30pm. While in there, Dr. Jacobs had texted Dr. Umholtz to let her know if any of her patients called, so luckily we were able to have our OB there for us even though she wasn't on call.

The whole process seemed pretty routine. After Jake was delivered, the doctors noticed that I had a pretty big fibroid tumor (about the size of a two attached limes) attached to the outside of my uterus, so they removed that while they were in there and sent it to pathology (results still pending). It was attached to the back of the uterus, so that's probably why it was missed on our ultrasounds. She said that the tumor was necrotic and over time it would've twisted and caused alot of pain and would've eventually needed to be removed. Thank goodness I had the surgery!


Judy with Dr. Jacobs holding baby Jake.

3 comments:

STran said...

you get the results yet? how are you doing?

STran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judy said...

No results yet. We're good... just tired. What I'd do for a straight 6 hrs of sleep....